Death

As a child growing up I remember my first funeral and that was my great grandma. I remember all the adults looking so sad because she had passed on to be with God.  As a child I did not k of my great grandma so therefore I was unable to cry or even realize what is going on. I looked at them and wondered why are they crying? Later in life I realized why, but at the age of sixteen I still was like why.

At sixteen, I lost my grandpa. That was the first death I truly understood why people cry when someone does that is close to you. I remember the day as if it was yesterday. It was a cold November Monday morning and I did not know anything was wrong so my mother and I got up and got ready for the day. I was getting ready to go to school as I normally do. The day went on like normal, but little did I know that something was wrong with my grandpa.

As the school day came to an end I came home called my mom to let her know I was home, but (this part is fuzzy)  I don't remember talking to my mom and if I did she did not sound like she was her normal self. So, I talked to my aunt Linda and she informed me that my mom was with my grandpa and grandma taking grandpa to the hospital. I thought to myself well OK that is fine grandpa was in and out of the hospital growing up so this was normal for me. 
Later that night, as Linda came home she came to my house and so did my boyfriend and his mom so they could be there for me.  I remember all of us sitting in the living room. I was on the couch with my boyfriend, his mom in the over sized chair ( where grandpa would sit on Sunday afternoons and watch football), Linda was sitting where the phone was. The phone rang it was my mom on the phone and she her that grandpa had died.
When I heard the news I wanted to run away and was about to. The reason, because he was the only father figure I had in my life. But my boyfriend got up and stopped me but if I had my way I would have ran and never looked back.

The day came where the funeral was going to happen and that day was a sad day. I did see all my family standing there and not greeting the people that had come to the funeral. So, in my mind I was like I am going to greet them. Little did I know I was supposed to be with them and sit with them. So,  I sat with my boyfriend and his family. Then while in the car I mad a comment that should not have been made, but I was getting g tired of all the sadness and everyone being down I wanted happiness. But, no one was having that.

Happiness is what needs to be at a funeral. Yes, there is a time for you to be sad when you lose someone who love and we're close too. It is like a piece of you is missing. An example would be you losing your keys. You don't cry over losing your keys. Yes, you get mad and upset that they are lost, but when you find them you are happy.

We as Christians should be happy that our loved one was able to go home and be happy and free from this life that weighs us down and have attacks from Satan on a daily basis. When I found out that my uncle was not going to survive the stroke he had I was sad, but then it hit me to pray, "God, please take my uncle so that he does not how to suffer on this earth." That was a hard prayer to pray but then I was happy and not sad anymore. I know that sounds crazy but I was at peace with it. God is the only one to give us peace that goes beyond our comprehension. That will make anyone happy and stay calm in any situation.

Death can be a scary thing in life if you are not ready for it. Even if you are a Christian and know where you are going after this life. However, for many people they look at death as a happy time and celebrate their life. As an adult I am starting to see that death can be a happy time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Blogger templates